General Information and Training Articles
Click on the bulleted links below to access the article for each description. We are constantly adding to this list, so check back often! If there is a topic that you would like to see an article on, please let us know.
- •Shock Collars – The Ugly Truth.pdf
Please consider supporting the effort to Ban Shock Collars In Canada – www.banshockcollars.ca
- Purebred Dogs: A Moral Minefield
- If you’re looking for a trainer, here’s something to think about . . . “balanced training” – really? A good article by Eric Brad, Life As A Human, The Online Magazine
- Signs of Stress in Dogs, Valerie Barry and Lisa Kerley
- Dog Training With Food, Valerie Barry and Lisa Kerley
- Rally Obedience – A Fun New Dog Sport!, Valerie Barry and Lisa Kerley
- Mental Madness, Valerie Barry and Lisa Kerley – tips and information on mental stimulation and exercise. For more information on Mental Exercise, click here
Information on the Myth of “Dominance”, “Alpha” and “Pack” terminology:
Check out these links for the truth behind the popular misconception of using “Dominance” and “Alpha” based training methods for dogs. Dogs are not truly “Pack” animals in a play for “Dominance” in our homes. There is no ladder of “Social Hierarchy” they are trying to climb. Sadly, despite much researched evidence to the contrary, many media sources continue to perpetuate this inaccurate and old-fashioned belief and many dogs are paying the price. Help spread the RIGHT message – train with brains not brawn!
- Do Your Homework, Andrew Luescher DVM PhD DACVB – Before the “Dog Whisperer” ever aired, National Geographic requested a review of the show by Dr. Andrew Luescher, Director, Animal Behaviour Clinic, School of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University. This article contains his recommendations.
- Dominant Dog Theory Will Soon Be But a Whisper (APBC November 2009)
- Using Dominance To Explain Dog Behaviour Is Old Hat.pdf (Science Daily, May 2009)
- TV Dog Behaviour Programs “Useless” and “Dangerous” (Telegraph, May 2009)
- If You’re Aggressive, Your Dog Wil Be Too (Science Daily, February 2009)
- Whatever Happened to the Term “Alpha Wolf”? (David L. Mech, Winter 2008)
- Forget Being Alpha In Your Pack (Kathy Sdao, 2008)
- Pack of Lies (M. Derr, New York Times, August 2008)
- The Dog Whisperer Controversy (Lisa Mullinax CPDT)
- Beyond the “Dominance” Paradigm (Patricia B. McConnell, PhD)
- Position Statement on Dominance, The American Veterinary Society of Animal Behaviour
- Dogs’ Social Hierarchy and Pack Behaviour (Gail Fisher)
- Video of Dr. Ian Dunbar (founder, APDT) giving a lecture on Dog Friendly Dog Training
FREE Download of Dr. Ian Dunbar’s “Before You Get Your Puppy”
An invaluable resource that Dr. Dunbar has decided to offer as a Free Download with the intention of reaching dog owners BEFORE they decide on a dog.
From the book description: “Training a puppy is easy if you know how. Learn what to do before you get your puppy and you will be starting your pup on the right paw. Every year, too many dogs end up abandoned at rescue shelters because their owners didn’t know how easy dog training can be if you start right from day one.”
Behaviour Blue Prints:
Click here to visit Website for FREE downloads
Made available by Sirius Dog Training and Dr. Ian Dunbar
A collection of short articles on various puppy and behaviour issues available for download.